'The 60s Funk Kit' from MPC-Samples and Tombongo is multisampled vintage drum kit recorded direct to analogue tape that perfectly captures the unique sound and vibe of the great funk records from the 60's and early 70's!
Inspired by the kits used by legendary drummers such as Clyde Stubblefield, Jabo Starks and Zigaboo Modeliste and built around a 1960s Gretsch Round Badge kick drum and a Ludwig Black Beauty snare, it's packed with a traditional gritty tone full of the warmth and character you’d expect to hear from classic vintage drum recordings.
Check out the demo - all drums and percussion came from this kit and were entirely sequenced in an MPC1000 using the included MPC finger-drumming kits:
Every instrument in the kit has been recorded by UK drummer Richard Preston (Tombongo) over three unique velocities and features four ‘takes’ per velocity, giving you a very realistic sounding kit that's perfect for creating your own unique drum performances in your MPC. In total there are 180 unique drum and percussion samples covering 15 unique instrument articulations including kick, snare, rim shot, snare drag (a short snare roll), hi hat (including open and edge), ride (including bell), crash, hi and low toms, claps, tambourine and shaker.
All samples are provided in three formats; 24 bit WAV, 16 bit WAV and legacy MPC SND format, and we’ve also included a number of ready-made MPC programs carefully tweaked for all MPC models (including JJOS) that load up intuitively laid out finger-drumming kits:
- The Velocity Sensitive Kit - this is the main kit, where each pad is set up using 'velocity switching', playing back either a hard, medium or softly recorded sample depending on the velocity you hit the pad with.
- The Round Robin Kit – made specifically for the MPC Software and MPC5000, this kit uses the 'layer cycle' feature to take advantage of the four unique 'takes' per velocity we've provided for each instrument. Each time you hit a pad it will play back one of these four different instrument timbres, producing very natural sounding hi hat runs and snare rolls.
- The JJOSXL ‘Full Monty’ – JJOSXL is the only MPC OS that allows you to combine velocity switching and round robins together on each individual pad, so this kit takes full advantage.
- The Low Memory Kit – this kit is more basic and features just a single sample on each pad, giving a much smaller memory footprint, perfect for most legacy MPCs. This one has added velocity-sensitive timbre emulation (V>Att, V>Pitch etc).
Simply transfer the sounds to your MPC, load up a compatible kit program and instantly start recording your own drum performances into your sequencer. Download the detailed User Guide to find out more about how to use the kit in your own songs:
Download User Guide
We've recorded this kit very traditionally to capture the natural sound of a 60s drum session, and as such all samples are presented completely raw with absolutely no added effects, no additional EQ and no dynamic processing. Simply great instruments recorded with quality vintage studio gear and laid down directly to 2 inch analogue tape for that unique warmth, tone and colour provided by tape saturation.
The 60s Funk Kit is an MPC-Samples.com exclusive and was created specifically with MPCs in mind - an incredibly unique and must-have drum kit for all MPC heads looking to create realistic, vintage sounding drums tracks.
- Round badge Gretsch Kick Drum & Toms (20x14, 14x14, 12x8)
- Ludwig Black Beauty snare
- 14" 5-star Super Zyn Hi Hats
- 18" Zildjian K Custom Medium Dark Crash
- 22" zildjian K Constantinople Medium Thin Low Ride
- Studer A80 2 " Sixteen Track Tape Machine
- Alice Stancoil 1970's AM Series Quadrophonic Mixer
- Various microphones: Coles 4038, Calrec 600, Sure 545, Calrec CM 100, AKG 414
Please note: The samples in this collection are compatible with all MPCs, however please ensure you have enough system memory to load the provided programs. We highly recommend that you have at least 32MB of free memory in your MPC to get the most out of this samplepack!